Summary Scaling into or out of positions when changing asset allocations eliminates the need to be perfect on trades. If you scaled out of equity heavy asset allocation from late July to late September, then scaled back in from late October to late December, you’ll be fine. Panic selling at […]
Exchange Traded Funds
Managed ETF portfolios are all the rage among money managers. The problem for individual investors is that the fees layer up quickly. A financial advisor might charge about 1% to recommend money managers to clients. The money managers often charge another 1%. The combined 2% in “service” fees is a HUGE barrier to overcome. Most people can manage an ETF portfolio very efficiently without having to overcome the layers of fees within the financial industry.
The Fundamental Trends Global Trends ETF portfolio is designed to be a slowly traded strategy that takes advantage of the big trends in the global economy. By managing risk with periodic trades out of downtrending asset classes and into uptrending asset classes we can greatly reduce our risk and increase reward. The combination of low expenses at Fundamental Trends, understanding the big trends in the global economy and stepping out of the way of falling markets is a winning combination.
I screen ETFs based upon several key criteria: expenses, valuation, internal holdings, methodology of the index an ETF is tracking and long-term growth outlook. In this way I am considering both the top down and bottom up prospects for an ETF. Very few do either side of this analysis, rather others simply buy hot sectors and asset classes only to get burned in short order. By comparing the internal workings of ETFs we can pick out the best ones in the expanding universe of funds.
ETF strategies are ideal for both smaller beginning investors and those managing a larger asset allocation.