I have a list of over 150 websites that I visit periodically, including several dozen subscription services. In addition, I use a five figure subscription fee AI.
Below are the essential subscription services I think you should consider and a few freemium lists. Each has something useful.
Top Financial & Investment News
- Bloomberg – Hands down the best data and analysis of the major financial news sites. And cheap. I read it almost every day. The hands down, absolute #1 thing you should read daily. And I say that, even though WSJ gives me a few bucks to promote them.
- Barron’s – Think of it as WSJ’s little brother that is focused almost exclusively on investment ideas. For a buck a week, it’s a huge bargain and a must subscribe.
Best DIY Investing Websites
- TradingView – Incredibly easy charting versus most brokerages. Excellent if you want to keep track of a group of charts. The screening tool for technical factors, like weekly RSI, is worth its weight in gold. For both long-term investors and swing traders. If you sell options for retirement income or do any swing trading you NEED this.
- Stock Rover – Hands down the best and easiest to use stock screening and seeing correlations. It’s watchlist and portfolio tracking tool is the best one I’ve found. Their volume alerts are extremely valuable to telling you when something is different. Screen for quant factors if you get the Premium Plus. Worth it if you are a data hound that does your own screening.
- Seeking Alpha Premium – I write here often, their crowdsourced investment analysis is excellent, after you sift through the noobs writing for beer money, when you get to the experts and top investors. The tools they’ve added are top notch and the transcripts/news in one location is handy. If you have time to read dozens of articles and want to stay on one site for tools, news and transcripts, totally worth it.
Free Financial Websites
- Yahoo Finance – still the go to for free financial information. Their new premium services is actually pretty good if you love their platform.
- DShort Advisor Perspectives – Updated charting of key market data
- S&P Global – Global markets intelligence.
- REIT.com – Core REIT website.
- Yardeni Research – Tracking the money flows.
- ETF.com – Great free website on ETF investing
- Reuters Business & Finance – As newsy as financial news gets.
- McKinsey – Executive business consultancy.
- Wood McKenzie – Energy research.
Top News Websites
- Asia Times
- The Atlantic
- Chicago Tribune
- The Christian Science Monitor
- EurAsia Review
- Foreign Affairs
- India Today
- L.A. Times
- Newspaper & Current Periodicals Reading Room
- New York Times
- NPR Online
- Pew Research
- South China Morning Post
- Washington Post
Top Government & Institutional Websites
I’ve included a few free government and institutional sites that are full of good information.
Global & Institutions
- American Economic Association
- Atlantic Council
- Center For Strategic & International Studies
- Economic Research Institute
- Global Edge
- Institute for International Economics
- International Monetary Fund
- International Trade Administration (ITA)
- Wilson Center for Global Issues
- World Bank
- Census Bureau
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- Central Intelligence Agency
- EIA – U.S. Energy Information Administration
- European Union
- FDA – U.S. Food & Drug Administration
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
- Federal Reserve online
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- FRED: Economic Research at the St. Louis Fed
- Library of Congress
- NASA Climate Change
- National Institutes of Health
- NOAA – National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
- Social Security Administration
- USGS – U.S. Geological Survey
- USA.gov Local Governments Search
- U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
- U.S. Congressional Budget Office
- U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC)
- U.S. Department of Labor (DOL)
- U.S. GPO: Economic Indicators
- VA – U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs